Thursday, April 14, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 7: Denny's



Denny's, 161 Telegraph Rd, Bellingham, WA

Let's head back into town, shall we?  We started off our journey with IHOP and while not great, it wasn't a complete disappointment.  Even a corporate joint should offer some small pleasures in the form of coffee, decent service, and hopefully passable food.

Oh, sweet summer child. . . .



I'll say this -- the service was fine.  I came in late before picking up a family member at the airport and figured I'd take the chance.  Right away, that uncomfortably sticky bottle of syrup was sitting there, judging me for all of my bad life choices so far.


Eggs Benedict are a "Weekend Only" special here, so I went with french toast.  Complete sadness on a plate.  Heidegger might even blush at the "thrownness" of the eggs and bacon here.  They -- we -- all deserve so much better in life.  The french toast was predictably soggy.  The little plastic cup of what seemed to be whipped cream and butter mashed together was obviously looking to make a break for it.

Vibe:  Dread.

Song heard:  Coldplay, "Higher Power" (The warning signs were everywhere, within and without.  Jesus Christ I hate Coldplay.)

Coffee:  Miserable, even with a "fresh pot."

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Actually, yes.  But even I can fry two eggs and come out with a soft yolk.  I went to college and everything.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, but you'd be loitering at a poorly attended funeral.

Price:  $22.13 (Highway fucking robbery.)

To start, the parking lot was on the scary side.  I grew up in the DC area and I've seen my share, but you'll want to make sure you aren't leaving any bags or valuables in your back seat.  Lots of homeless folks congregate here and I don't wish them ill, but that's just the way it is.

The interior was a little better, and not at all empty, but it felt more like an ER waiting room than a restaurant.  You are here because you have to be, for some reason (rusty exposed nail?  heart attack?), not because you want to be.  And it's worth mentioning that the service was decent, but I can't blame the waitresses for not wanting to be here either.  Triage.  Scan the wounded and see who can be saved, ignore the ones who can't.

For the love of all that is holy, you can walk to Shari's from here.  Please do so.  They close at 11 instead of midnight.

Overall:


0 / 5 Nighthawks

2 comments:

  1. That plate of eggs is just so sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, why not put it all on one big plate? That might have made it look a little less morbid.

      Delete