Friday, April 1, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 2: Dutch Treat Restaurant

 

Dutch Treat Restaurant, 206 3rd St, Lynden, WA

North of Bellingham is the fair city of Lynden, the second largest in the county behind Bellingham.  This is the kind of place I'm really interested in -- not a chain, and the sort of place locals know about and would likely send you to if you asked for a good breakfast.  We have arrived!




Vibe: Let's Go Brandon!

Song heard: R.E.M., "Losing My Religion"

This is Whatcom County inside baseball, but Lynden has a reputation for being extremely religious and conservative (most churches per square mile at one point).  They dig on Michael Stipe though, so that's fine.

Coffee: Disappointing.  Not horrible, but I've had better at some chain places.  I came in and sat down and noticed that a lot of the regulars were simply ambling up to a coffee machine on a side wall and helping themselves.  I asked the waitress if I should do the same but she said she'd be happy to bring me some.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Yes, perfectly so.  And you can see that Eggs Benedict were not available, so I ordered the Number One instead.  It was awesome -- everything well cooked, those hash browns under the piece of ham were irregular and obviously hand-cut and home-made.  Everything was cooked with care, and that's really all I think we can ask for.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, but this place was truly hopping on a Saturday morning.  I never felt pressure to leave early or anything, but I wasn't about to read more than a few pages from my book.  Also, the place seems strangely dark to me -- as in, a few more lights overheard might warm the place up a bit.  Then again, this is an eatin' kind of place, not a hangin' out kind of place, and that's fine.

Price: $15.52.  This is exceptional value and I'm willing to bet I won't find another place in Whatcom County that's this cheap.

After IHOP, this was the palate cleanser I needed.  These are the places I really want to explore -- good service, good food, and not a drop of corporate focus-grouped nonsense.  It is Lynden though, and while Lynden is lovely I'm not kidding when I say that I was pretty much surrounded by pro-Trump chatter bordering on QAnon talking points.  I entered a two-time Obama voter, I left an unreconstructed Maoist-Leninist.  One with a very full and happy belly, at that.

On the left as you enter is a "Wall of Fame" for various youth league teams.  All of them are -- strangely and specifically -- from 2006.  These kids are now in the late 20's or 30's.  Not a bad thing, just a little Twin Peaks flavor for a diner that exudes the right amounts of both warmth and weird.

It's worth repeating that at 15 bucks for food, coffee, and tip, this is a genuine steal and well worth your time.  I think Michael Stipe would enjoy it even more than I did, maybe even write a song about it, and I really did enjoy it.

Overall:


4 / 5 Nighthawks

No comments:

Post a Comment