Wednesday, April 13, 2022

"no matter how perfect you try to be"

"What a cruel twist of fate, I thought, my face reddening as I fought back the tears.  I had spent my adolescence trying to blend in with my peers in suburban America, and had come of age feeling like my belonging was something to prove.  Something that was always in the hands of other people to be given and never my own to take, to decide which side I was on, whom I was allowed to align with.  I could never be of both worlds, only half in and half out, waiting to be ejected at will by someone with greater claim than me.  Someone full.  Someone whole.  For a long time I had tried to belong in America, wanted and wished for it more than anything, but in that moment all I wanted was to be accepted as a Korean by two people who refused to claim me.  You are not one of us, Kye seemed to say.  And you will never really understand what it is she needs, no matter how perfect you try to be."

-- Michelle Zauner, Crying in H Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment