Sunday, April 3, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 3: Shari's Cafe and Pies

 


Shari's Cafe and Pies, 3904 Meridian St, Bellingham, WA

We've seen the blandly corporate, and we've seen the weirdly local.  Coming back into Bellingham proper is Shari's, which splits the difference (in a good way!) between what lots of people seem to want, and what people actually deserve -- food made with care and attention.



Everybody seems to know about Shari's, and that's a good thing.  While it's a standalone place, it definitely feels a bit like you might be getting into IHOP territory.  But rest assured, this is a local place through and through and well worth your time.

[Edit: Shari's is, in fact, a chain, but a relatively small one, and a very good one IMO.]

You can tell those are hand-cut hash browns with wonderfully uneven crispy bits all around.  Instead of ham, I got the avocado EB.  Good choice, but I'm sure either would be fine.  Also worth noting the hot sauce carrier -- regular, mild, or smoked Tabasco.  Attention to detail is love.

Vibe: Save room for dessert, if you can!

Song heard: Madonna, "Music"

Coffee: Very good, a bit on the bitter side, but that's my preference

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Yes, both were perfectly cooked -- gooey and a bit translucent all around.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, and I don't think anybody would blink.  Excellent service all around, but all the staff were wearing Dallas Cowboy gear that day.  I guess I can take it or leave it.

Price:  $20.39.  Maybe, just maybe, a shade too much.

Located right off of I-5, Shari's manages to cover all the bases.  I'll be back.  In fact, I've committed the mortal sin of only actually having breakfast stuff here, and never even touching the famous pies.

I wouldn't blame anybody who tried to dive through the glass, no sir.

Overall:


3.5 / 5 Nighthawks, but call it 4 if you have more of a sweet-tooth than I do.

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yeah, this place really deserves a second non-breakfast review. The pies are famous!

      Delete