Tuesday, January 26, 2021

Project Herzog Update: Family Romance, LLC


You might remember that last spring, in the beginning grips of COVID, I watched and reviewed almost every film by Werner Herzog -- Project Herzog!

I recently saw his 2019 feature Family Romance, LLC.  Unlike his recent output in the feature film category, I really liked this one.  It's a return to form, echoing his early career attempts at parable and questioning reality in Signs of Life and The Unprecedented Defence of the Fortress Deutschkreuz.  Even better, Herzog shot the film guerrilla-style, with no permits or permission, in Tokyo.  If I'm not mistaken, I also think it's also the first time he's used drone cameras.

It's not perfect, but it's beautiful and affecting in its own way.  And as always, Herzog is the master of endings.

Family Romance, LLC is definitely worth your time.  Not his best (those are here) but pretty good and always taking risks (those are here!).

No comments:

Post a Comment