Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Almost May, Brain Thinks It's Still February

It seems like my college is on track for a May 11th in-person start.

I have no idea how we'll handle the midterm.  I can't in good conscience test them on grammar stuff that I haven't been able to explain to them fully in person.

Honestly, everything feels like it's been in a weird time-stasis event since as early as February.

Nationally, lots of students (and parents) are calling for partial tuition refunds due to a perceived low-quality in distance learning materials so far.

Don't tell my boss, but I agree.  (Especially for language courses but then again English is an elective for my students, not a major, so I might dodge a bit of heat on this one.)

The "Korean way" would be for the students / parents to suck this up as a one-time deal and assume that with good governance and health-care it won't happen again.  Optimistically speaking I think that's the way to go, but who knows what happens come next fall / winter and the possible pre-vaccine "second wave."

Since I've finished all my video recording required so far (basically, half a semester's worth of material, along with quizzes and grammar supplements) I think tonight I'll enjoy some red wine and download Disco Elysium.

The spring weather here in Daegu is absolutely gorgeous as always, but then I get all sad-like wishing I could attend an actual Samsung Lions ball game or even an FC Daegu soccer match.

Buying a stationary bike is probably one of the smarter things I've done since moving to Korea, despite my boss thinking me a crazy person for exercising at home instead of at the school gym.  (Which raised its "faculty discount" prices recently, not to mention is currently shut down, so even better.)

So ends this highly detailed but fairly incoherent update.  Things could be better.  Things could also be a whole hell of a lot worse.

Also, Tiger King was actually kind of shit wasn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment