Sunday, April 19, 2020

"good enough for me"


John Mellencamp and friends, "Small Town" live

I wonder if the Pitchfork types will ever figure out than on a good day Mellencamp is just as bracing as Springsteen.

Last Friday night I was pretty damn bored so I finally gave Rise of Skywalker a shot.  (I actually kind of liked the first two movies, and I was fine with the "even Luke says the Force is bullshit" plot-line.)

Interestingly, the film was only in South Korean theaters for less than a week.  Now I understand why.

I made it to almost 30 minutes and gave up.  If it had been a major theater I would  have walked out in under half that time.

It's rare that a work of art can simultaneously make me feel infinitely superior on an intellectual level, but also stupid.  Like, giving me a migraine level stupid.

It was so many colors and shapes moving across the screen at high velocity, with only the barest association to characters or plot points or -- Yoda forbid -- actual human emotions.

It made me pine for the prequels.

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- J. J. Abrams has always been kind of shit.

Anyhow, I made it through with a great series -- Spectacle: Elvis Costello -- which none of my British Twitter homies had ever managed to tell me about.  (Free on YT now.)

Fuckers.

No comments:

Post a Comment