Four underused Zendayas out of five!
Wednesday, August 5, 2026
The Odyssey: Wut I Thunk
I think Professor Emily Wilson is essentially correct: Nolan's film takes the archetype of the crafty man of "twists and turns" and turns him into a generic Joe Action-Man. But I guess I'm also more forgiving in other respects. The performances are great (Leguizamo has to be an early favorite for supporting actor). The set-pieces mostly work (Circe's Island being the best). And sure, we could all be a lot nicer to one another. But I'm going to stretch a bit and suggest there's another, larger message to the film: people in power and "leadership," one of the most powerful and meaningless words of our age, are toxic, corrosive forces that will lead you down a path where you might succeed, but the entirely expendable people under you will all die horribly. That strikes me as about as zeity-geisty-2026-y as you can get.
Labels:
books,
film,
literature,
movies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment