Wednesday, October 27, 2021

Making Plans for James

I just accepted a new job.  It's part time, so I can focus on taking care of my Dad, and for the first time in over a decade it's not teaching.  I'm going to start my training this Saturday.  I'll have more to say about it later, but it's a great organization and so far I've really enjoyed meeting the people I'll be working with.

When I lived out here for a year before moving to South Korea I made kayaks.  It was a tough, physical job (I wore a hardhat even!) but it payed off all of my debts before I moved onto that adventure abroad.  Things are much different now -- for the better.  Bellingham is not and never will be the best place to find solid, middle-class work (it's about one half retirees who come out and build their own houses, so construction is actually a growth field) so I'm feeling pretty good about myself, to be honest.  Based on my experience out here 12 years ago, there are a lot more places hiring and starting wages are a lot higher (almost double in some cases) what they used to be.  This is a very good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment