Wednesday, September 1, 2021

"he was always telling me so"

"Sometimes I wondered how much money went through his hands for him to be able to run this place with its desirable living accommodations for the servants, a self-contained wing for his guests, and heated stabling for his horses.  I parked my battered Ford between Kimber-Hutchinson's silver Rolls and his wife's Jaguar.  The Kimber-Hutchinsons wouldn't have a foreign car.  It wasn't simply a matter of patriotism, the old man once told me, it would upset some of his customers.  Poor fellow, he needed handmade shoes because of his 'awkward feet' and Savile Row suits because he wasn't lucky enough to have the figure for ready-made ones.  Cheap wines played havoc with his stomach so he drank expensive ones, and because he couldn't fit into economy-size airline seats he was forced to go everywhere first class.  Poor David, he envied people like me; he was always telling me so."

-- Len Deighton, Mexico Set

No comments:

Post a Comment