Thursday, December 10, 2020

Farewell Transmission


Songs: Ohia, "Farewell Transmission"

Didn't start listening to Jason Molina until I landed in South Korea.  Go figure.

I just spoke with my boss and made it official -- I'll be leaving South Korea and my current job this February.

My dad is getting older and needs full-time care, whereas for the past five years or so he could get by with part-time care.  My sister has been doing more than her share of maintenance, and it's time for me to step up.

To say I have mixed feelings is an understatement.  I love Korea, and I really like my job here.

But it's also been 12 years (!) since I came here thinking I'd just do a year or two.

Timing is a feeling more than anything else.  Or maybe an instinct.

I'm just chuckling to myself in my office right now -- Obama wasn't even president yet when I started this little English-teaching adventure back in 2008.

And while moving back to America in the midst of the Trump Virus and Recession might seem daunting, I think it's going to work out.  I'll be living with my Dad in Bellingham, Washington, a beautiful and bizarro place closer to Vancouver than it is to Seattle.  (It's Twin Peaks with a shittier economy and more hippies and meth labs.)  I'll get to spend time with the old man, but also get to see my sister and nephew more than just once every summer.

I'm planning on buying a real bike for what it's worth once I touch down, and taking more pictures, and keeping up with my Korean language skills, and playing guitar again.  (My Fender Strat -- American made! -- sits unused for over a decade in my dad's garage.)

This blog shall remain in place.  I'm sure I'll still have some semi-intelligent things to say about Korea from time to time, but also incredibly fascinating insights into elder-care, or the fact that my 91 year-old dad still loves to talk about his sex life in fairly graphic terms, both past and present.

I'm sad.  I'm happy.  I'm moving on.

6 comments:

  1. Good luck. I used to live near Bellingham - went to high school in Abbotsford. Take care of yourself. It's a good thing you're doing to take care of your dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very kind of you, thanks. One thing I am looking forward to is all that beautiful scenery.

      Delete
  2. The universal alignment is blowing my mind here. I currently live in Abbotsford and had know idea that Roboseyo had lived here in the past. Also, a good friend of mine who I met in Korea will be moving to Bellingham in January. I’ll DM some deets on Twitter. Best of luck with there move and with taking care of your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The end of an era! On a personal note, I'm glad I made the effort to meet up and be social during my trip last year. It was good food and good beer. :)

    It sucks that it's not entirely on your own terms but it is what it is. Safe travels and soft landings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I'm looking forward to a change. And my Dad is a great guy in his own way, just needs some help getting around. Thanks so much for the encouraging words!

      Delete