Monday, December 23, 2019

Hoping For Better in 2020 And Beyond


Darlene Love, "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)"

I've linked the incredible last Letterman appearance version of this song plenty of times on this here blog, so as we enter 2020 let's go with Phil Spector's original.  Ms. Love's dynamic vocal range actually comes through a bit better here.  (Hell, even Bono is capable of good taste sometimes.)

Grading is finished.  In typical Because Korea style, I was not informed of a pretty significant change to our grading curve policy.  This means next week I'll be getting some angry calls from students who deserved "A"s but will end up with "B+"s.

I'm still planning on going downtown tomorrow night for Christmas Eve beers, with a tentative plan to meet up with my boss and his family for coffee.  I'll call my sister, and then my dad even though it's stressful to think he might ask me about impeachment.

Every year I usually buy myself something nice as a present and this time around, I was honestly stumped.  I'd like to think my recent interest in minimalist survival videos had something to do with it (not kidding!), and I can always use a new pair of jeans or a dress shirt.  But in terms of, say, a 250-400 dollar indulgent purchase for myself, I just wasn't feeling it.  (Last year it was a Freitag messenger bag which honestly I haven't used that much.)

I mean, the world is literally on fire.  Peace on earth and goodwill towards all but Jesus, are we really going to make it to 2030 without major civil wars, resource-based wars, and massive depopulation events, animal, human, and otherwise?  I honestly doubt it.

So Merry Christmas from South Korea, for what it's worth.  We all deserve better than the last few years, that's for damn sure.  Stay healthy, and keep fighting despite the fact that the worst is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment