Tuesday, December 11, 2018

"dreaming is free"


Say Sue Me, "Dreaming"

A good cover song is an art-form unto itself.

Going over musical "Best Of 2018" lists is a bit of a compulsion for me and, frankly, I didn't listen to a hell of a lot of new music this year.  Part of me doesn't care at all -- I'm an old, after all.  Part of me would like to devote more time to seeking out new stuff but, at the risk of sounding like Grampa Simpson, the new stuff doesn't do much for me.  (The 1975?  Really?)

But finding Say Sue Me (through a former Korean ex-pat on Facebook no less) was worth it.  In fact, they're playing a Christmas show that I might even go down to Busan for.  (I haven't seen them live yet.)  But this cover of Blondie's "Dreaming" is pretty much perfect.

Also really enjoyed boygenius.  And the new Beach House.  And the new Sea and Cake.

But that's cheating because everything by Beach House and Sea and Cake is consistently sublime.

1 comment: