Friday, May 17, 2024

Poll Judge!

Last Tuesday I spent the day (6 am to 9:30 pm) as a poll judge for the Maryland primary election.  It was a great experience that I obviously can't say too much about, other than to say that the full-time elections board folks I was trained by and worked with are really dedicated public officials.  The idea that they would try and cheat any election is risible.

That said, there's a lot going into the security protocols to make sure every ballot cast is counted properly.  There's simply no easy way to count the vote of hundreds of thousands of people either perfectly or quickly.  Working as a very small cog in the machine made this beyond clear.

And yes, I was paid.  And I'd like to do it again depending on how my schedule shakes out for this November.

No comments:

Post a Comment