Friday, March 1, 2024

Maryland Diners: Mountain View Diner, Frederick Maryland

One thing I'll always miss about living in Bellingham was the abundance of diners in and around the area.  Hell, I reviewed every single one of them!  For whatever reason diner culture isn't nearly as strong here in lovely Frederick, Maryland, but I am going to do my best to cover what's available.

Behold!  The Mountain View Diner!  1300 W Patrick Street, Frederick!

It was a snowy Saturday, and I got there right after the lunch rush started to die down.  The staff were exhausted, and I don't blame them.  And rather than my traditional Eggs Benny, I was hankering for something different -- my other diner go-to, the club sandwich. The club sandwich being among other things, the Exhibitionist of All Sandwiches.

And it was delicious!  Let's break down this little slice of 50's rock and roll nostalgia!

Just absolutely lovely in so many ways.  The pickle and little bit of coleslaw don't seem like much, they just kiss what you're really there for -- succulent layers of meat and cheese.  Another club sandwich secret that so many places get wrong -- the lettuce here is thick and crispy, and that's no small feat.

So many thriving local businesses!  Plazma Cutting!

Vibe:  Remember the 50s while we only play 80s music!

Song heard:  Rod Stewart, "If Ya Think I'm Sexy"

Coffee:  It was lunchtime so I got a Diet Coke.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  So as I move forward with this new project I'm sure there are some more Egg Bennies ahead of me.  But no breakfast for me today.  Damn though, this was a good sandwich.  In fact, bring a friend -- this could easily serve two.  And the fries -- slightly above average.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Not really.  Like I said, you could feel the tension after what must have been huge breakfast and lunch rushes and you can't blame anyone for being tired or a bit miffed at some customers being, well, customers.  ("Is the tomato soup vegetarian?")  Maybe come here on a Wednesday before the dinner rush instead, late afternoon.

Price:  $22 with tip.  Well worth it as a treat and a pick-me-up.  And to pick a nit -- please wipe down your menus once in a while Mountain View!  Mine was gross!

Thank you for the sandwich, Mr. Bear!  I shall return soon enough, to try out some of your pies!

No comments:

Post a Comment