Monday, June 20, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 15: The Birch Door Cafe

 

4192 Meridian St, Bellingham, Washington


Let's head back into town, on the north side right off of The Guide -- The Birch Door Cafe!  Seasonal fruit, mimosa menu, huge Bavarian ceilings, and no shortage of patchouli wafting in the wake of the waiters and waitresses!

I could almost argue that this lovely place is too big to be a diner, but the menu says otherwise.  It's very bright and cheerful, and the service is excellent.  The food is too.  Maybe it's more of a restaurant at heart, but I'm not complaining at all.

Vibe:  Bavarian Hippies Cook For You

Song heard:  The Drifters, "Save The Last Dance for Me"

Coffee:  Very good.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Yes.  The kitchen here does not mess around -- everything was perfectly cooked and from scratch as far as I could tell.  The potatoes were amazing, and such a generous portion I ran out of beautiful runny yolk.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, I but this is another very popular place.  It's not loud, but you certainly won't feel alone.

Price:  $25.74


Scrumptious.  The cooks here obviously care.  Maybe a bit pricey, maybe a bit more of a "friends visiting from out of town" kind of place than a solo diner, but so be it.  Seasonal fruit dishes, even.  I will be back, but shall bring some other hungry folks with me.

Overall:


4 / 5 Nighthawks

No comments:

Post a Comment