Monday, February 7, 2022

"Penelope she came and went / We assumed that all her savings were spent"

Elvis Costello and the Imposters, "Penelope Halfpenny"

I know it's a new album, but I feel like this will go down as one among dozens of great "hidden gems" for E.C.

My part-time job is going well.  On weekends I answer phones with Animal Control at the local Humane Society.  Saturdays are pretty busy, Sundays are usually quiet (but hey, now I'm jinxing it).

It's one of those jobs where we have a pretty good set of rules for every situation, but within those situations you have exceptions and twists and turns.  I'm still learning, basically, and probably will be for as long as I work here.  I've been yelled at and cursed out three times now on the phone.  Just this past weekend I managed to get a lost dog back together with its owner without sending out an officer.  And I directed folks to a freshly deceased deer, and they're planning on getting a lot of meat and meals out of the thing.  Good and bad, helpful and no good shall come of this all in the same hour.

It's good.  It's interesting.  It's stressful.  I really like the people I'm working with, and I hope they like me.

Since you didn't ask, the Bengals are going to win the Super Bowl this Sunday by 12 points.  It is known.  I'll get home in time to watch the second half (the only one that matters, if you think about it) with my Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment