Wednesday, July 3, 2019

"Oh, but things just ain't the same"


X, "Fourth of July"

I have some genuinely great memories of July 4th growing up in the DC area.  The downtown DC fireworks were hardly the only choice -- I remember the University of Maryland had some pretty great displays as well.  But I can remember two times -- maybe three -- when we made the trip to the "official" display.  And they were great.  Pretty sure Bush the Elder was president during one of the events, and not a whiff of partisanship was there -- just people out enjoying their three-day weekend.

And now of course, like everything he comes into contact with, Trump has ruined yet another perfectly fine American tradition -- poisoned it on the altar of his bottomless ego.

Anyhow there aren't that many great American Fourth of July rock tunes but this is definitely one of them.  I'm finalizing my plans for America between the end of July and mid-August, and I'll probably catch the new Spiderman this weekend.

I only had one student call and complain about his grade.  That's a minor win as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment