Thursday, March 30, 2023

The Various Diners of Whatcom County -- 24/24 Reviews, Including the Best!

No beating around the Hollandaise -- Mount Bakery has the best Eggs Benedict in Whatcom County.  The secret?  They make their own bread.

It's done -- I've reviewed all 24 diners in and across Whatcom County.  (Quick listing here.)  And with the exception of two corporate monstrosities (they rhyme with LIBLOP  and JENNY'S) I had a ton of quality dining experiences.  And frankly, even the weaker spots were never too terrible -- we all have bad days.  I think at the very least what I got out of this project was simply getting into remoter parts of Whatcom County that I might never have seen otherwise.

Here are the three best diners in Whatcom County:

1)  Mount Bakery (with three locations, I went to the one in Fairhaven)

2)  Old Town Cafe (admittedly, I'm a bit sentimental about this place but objectively, everything they put out on the table is very, very good)

3)  Marlin's Cafe (one thing I learned -- while food quality is most important, atmosphere is impossible to separate completely, EBs only on weekend)

Here are some honorable mentions, either for that certain breakfast palace charm, great value for your dollar, or often both:

1)  Dutch Treat Restaurant (the working person's choice, no EBs but you won't miss them too much)

2)  Shari's (this won't surprise any long-term B'hammer, and while it's technically a chain it doesn't feel like one)

3)  Our Diner (easy to drive past, but you'll regret it, and perhaps the largest EB I had)

4)  Arlis's Restaurant (kind of run down but somehow kind of special too)

That's it!  Time for me to hit the gym and find a way to concoct the perfect vegan Eggs Benny.  And again, with two obvious exceptions, you won't go wrong with the other 22 places.

Thanks again to all the breakfast palaces throughout the county who cook with pride, joy, and love.


2 comments:

  1. I will miss these posts, but hope you may start a new project in your new home!

    ReplyDelete