Tuesday, April 19, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 8: Arlis's Restaurant

 

Arlis's Restaurant, 1525 Cornwall Ave, Bellingham, WA

You are a diner, Arlis's.  I know this because you are only open until 2 p.m. every day.  And your EBs and coffee are sublime.  Look at you with your water-stained marquee, trying to pretend you aren't a wonderful stop on my breakfast journey, nay, pilgrimage.

I'll admit, it was love at first sight.  Just a little shabby and used, but with huge plate glass windows all around.  I knew I was in the right place.


On entry, it was just busy enough to feel warm and lived in but not so much that the friendly service wasn't also quick.  The place just smells good too, all those breakfast and coffee scents with no grease or oil smell.

Vibe:  The world may not be your oyster, but this place is.

Song heard:  There was a radio playing music from the kitchen, country I think, but at no point could I actually pinpoint an individual song.  That's fine.

Coffee:  Two ticks above average.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Yes, it was perfectly cooked.  And yet again, we have a choice of EB options!  I went with a veggie EB, but the other ones are definitely on my to-nom list.  And the homemade hash browns (had to be) didn't disappoint either.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, I think you could definitely read 10 pages of something good over a second cup of coffee.  You've earned it.

Price:  $20.71.  Not cheap, but it didn't feel like too much either.

And really, after living in South Korea for over a decade I just assumed Eggs Benedict technology hadn't advanced so rapidly.  Lots of these wonderful diners in Whatcom County are setting out on their own, staking new ground.  Captain Kirk and Guy Fieri would be brought to tears by the things I've seen on this adventure so far.  (The crab cake EB will be next, my precious.)

This place is a little easy to miss, like a lot of great non-chain joints, but so far I have to say -- it's almost exactly what I was looking for.  Friendly.  Warm.  A reprieve from the world outside.

You, Arlis's, are going to be hard to beat.

Overall:

4.5 / 5 Nighthawks

2 comments:

  1. Please share your crab cake EB experience when it happens, I'm very curious about that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will! Trying to keep to more basic choices, but there's no reason not to branch out!

      Delete