Tuesday, April 12, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 6: Smokestack Diner

 

Smokestack Diner, 210 W Main St, Everson

Everson is in the heart of Whatcom County, along the banks of the mighty Nooksack River.  I've driven through it a few times, but finally had a reason to stop.


And here we are.  I should begin by saying that I came in here for more of an early lunch and wasn't all that ravenous, so I got the half order of EB.  (Shameful, I know.)

It's worth noting that there's a "Smokestack Eggs Benedict," which involves gravy instead of Hollandaise sauce.  I'm all for the reinvention of received forms, but at the same times it struck me as a bit much -- let's not cross the sacred breakfast beams.

Vibe:  Grandma opened a restaurant in her shabby little basement!

Song heard:  Joan Jett, "I Love Rock and Roll"

Coffee:  Above average.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  The EB was well done but unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the home fries came from a bag.  Ketchup and pepper helped, of course.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, especially later in the morning.

Price:  $17.22 (half order)


The Smokestack diner does a lot of things well, and if you find yourself in Everson or Nooksack you should give it a shot.  I wasn't blown away, but walked away full and happy on yet another rainy spring day.

Overall:


3 / 5 Nighthawks

No comments:

Post a Comment