Sunday, November 29, 2020

Some Fall And Winter Perks

Another beautiful fall here in South Korea, epidemic be damned, and another cycle of gifts from my adult students.

October -- persimmons of all kinds, both soft and hard and dried!  The dried ones are my favorite, but I won't turn up my nose to fresh ones even though they are kind of messy to eat.  (At least the way I do it, like a starving dinosaur.)

November -- kimchi!  The homemade stuff which is, obviously, the best stuff.  Every family has their own recipe.  As I get older, I really enjoy it in the plainest fashion possible -- just on top of some rice.  Or maybe my very lazy version of a kimchi omelet, which is really more like kimchi on top of some scrambled eggs.

December -- roasted sweet potatoes!  Well, these don't excite me too much if only because by the time I get them home they are cold and really not fit for eating.  Re-heating is fine, but compared to persimmons and kimchi they are my least favorite of gifts.  Mind you, nothing goes to waste, but I tend to reheat and add some butter and salt.  (Those additions are very un-Korean of me, but it can't be helped.)

No comments:

Post a Comment