Tuesday, November 10, 2020

My Oyster(s)


 Oyster soup (굴뚝배기) with side dishes.

One of the best things about Korean food is how seasonal it is.  And now that we're in the healthy mid-section between fall and winter, oysters are in season.  Down the street from my college is an amazing oyster soup joint that features variations on a theme -- a stone bowl of steaming hot soup filled with shelled oysters, fresh seaweed, and your choice of starch in the form of rice, rice cakes, or shredded dumplings.

The magic begins when, at the last moment before serving, a raw egg gets thrown in.  If the timing is right, you get to pop the yolk and watch the rich yellow fat mix into the brinish soup.  (The place was packed, so my egg was, alas, overcooked by the time it got to me).

Still, this is a definite "memory" food for me in South Korea as the gorgeous fall weather starts turning to winter.  My boss really likes this dish as well, so I've had it plenty of times.

I don't get tired of this one though.

Also, do yourself a favor and order an oyster pancake to share as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment