Saturday, March 21, 2020

R.I.P. Kenny


Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, "Islands In The Stream" live

I didn't grow up in a musical household by any means, but one constant of my childhood in Silver Spring, Maryland was our huge, late 70's turntable / stereo console (a piece of furniture, basically) and my Dad's copy of Kenny Rogers' greatest hits.

I mean, I'd love to say my parents raised me on Sex Pistols and Fela Kuti but no, lots of Sunday steak dinners listening to "The Gambler" or my Dad's favorite, "You Picked A Fine Time To Leave Me Lucille."

I also had a really great first date at the Mt. Vernon (Mt. Vermin) Ohio Kenny Rogers Restaurant back in college.  Those biscuits were lit.


"The Gambler" on The Muppet Show

How could I forget this bizarro-world 80's childhood gem?

No comments:

Post a Comment