Monday, July 1, 2019

Teacher Of The Year

My final grades have been in the college computer system for over a week now, but this week students get to call me up and plead for mercy.  Granted, sometimes I do make stupid data entry mistakes and need to update their final score.  But usually it's just a handful of students who either a) know they fucked up royally by missing the maximum number of classes, and regale me with stories of emergency hospital visits or dead grandma funerals (why not tell me a month ago when it actually happened?) or b) grade-grubbers who want their A- kicked up to an A (hey, at least these students seem to care).

Anyhow, if you ever teach English at a Korean college or university this is our version of "desk-warming."  There are far worse fates but I'm also reduced to sitting in my office waiting for students to bring me phantom letters from phantom hospitals regarding phantom medical conditions.

Good times.

1 comment: