Wednesday, March 20, 2019

(Sweet Jeebus It's Almost) 2020

I guess I've been negligent in expressing a strong opinion as to who I want to win the Dem nomination for 2020.  I guess I'm still a bit shell-shocked that it's 2019 already.  I guess I'm still a bit poleaxed the Orange Pussy-Grabber actually is in charge, as long as we're being honest.  Two years on it all still feels a bit less than real.

But with Biden announcing I guess my opinion is starting to condense around a few candidates, if only a bit.

I like Kamala Harris a lot.  I don't think her "tough on crime" background will hurt her in the long-run.  Obviously, she's got her work cut out for her.  Will she really enjoy getting up at four a.m. in cold, gray weather to visit folks at some variation of Herb and Mathilda's Diabetes Breakfast Buffet in Iowa and New Hampshire for months on end?  I honestly hope so, because her smarts and temperament are really appealing.  Also, she went to Howard so I have to respect her D.C. (not Washington, D.C.) credentials.

I also really like Elizabeth Warren.  However, let's face it -- thoughtful, fact-based policy platforms do not win elections in America.  And the more you think they do, the more disappointed you'll be to find that American politics are about 95% post-factual now.  And frankly, as fucking stupid and racist as the whole "Pocohontas" thing is, given America's stupid and racist mainstream media it will be enough to sink her.

Beto?  Loved his run in Texas.  Have slowly realized he isn't ready for prime time, at least on a national level.  Everything he did against Cruz was fresh and exciting.  Everything he's done since?  The opposite.  And secretly a bit of a douchey bro at heart?

Klobuchar and Gillibrand?  Is it unfair that I get them a bit confused sometimes? I'll admit, the Klobuchar treatment-of-staffer thing was hardly a boost to my feelings about her.  But it's been a few weeks now -- neither has really set themselves apart from the pack.

Biden?  Too old.  And despite all of the strange "Obama's white trash side-kick" love that I never understood, a vote for him is basically denying that Trump ever happened, that we can just vote for Uncle Joe and "go back" to the good times.  He embodies the pure nostalgia for that 1980's America where Democrats and Republicans could come together at the end of the day as Civilized, Reasonable Opponents.  This 1980's never existed, of course.  It's because guys like Biden ignored the obvious batshit insanity of Movement Conservatism in that decade in order to maintain "decorum" and "civility" with Republican assholes that we're all so very fucked today.

Cory Booker?  Rahm Emanuel with more Dad jokes.  However, unlike candidates I haven't mentioned, I'm open to being moved by one or two debate performances.

That's it.  (Obviously, that's not it.)  But beyond that I can't be bothered.  Jay Inslee is great, but even he's pretty much admitted he's running to bring more attention to global warming (and that's fine).

While enthusiasm and participation are hallmarks of a healthy American democracy, I'm already worried that we (speaking as a life-long Democrat) are just going to make this too easy for Trumpolini to ride historical precedent as an incumbent to victory.  Once somebody emerges as the eventual winner (not guaranteed!) I wonder how much wind will be at his or her sails.  If 2016 is any indication, certain hopefuls will not go gentle into that good night due to their innate and unearned sense of entitlement, especially if its a woman dealing with bitter (and more likely older and whiter) men.

Oh, and I almost forget -- Bernie?  Too old.  Also, not a Democrat.  Also, if Trump should release his taxes so should he.

No comments:

Post a Comment