Thursday, July 28, 2016

"Don't Boo, Vote"

I've been watching the DNC sporadically, and kind of nibbled on the low-lights of the dumpster fire that was the RNC.  (Baio-mentum!)

Is there a word for a pretty strong optimism met with deep, complete fatalism?

I was telling my (Korean) boss the other day that I'm a life-long Democrat.  I like Hillary (but would've voted for Bernie if he'd pulled it out).  And I was explaining to him that due to the partisan divide in America, Trump was going to get at least 40 percent of the vote no matter what as the Republcian nominee.  On the other hand, Hillary winning by even five percentage points nationally was actually a landslide in modern American politics.

The larger point is, I'm going to vote.  I'm going to do what I can to get my friends and co-workers to vote.  I'll donate a small bit of cash.

And if at the end of the day that isn't enough, and Americans really are stupid or cynical enough to pull the lever for the Orange Mussolini, well, I'll be greatly saddened.  But I won't be crushed.

I can only sacrifice so much of my psychological well being to the fact that so many of my fellow Americans are racist clowns.

And for better or worse, that's why this blog will probably be less political in nature than it has been in the past.  There's everything to say about this spectacle of an election, and then again nothing at all.

Register to vote, please.

No comments:

Post a Comment