Wednesday, January 18, 2023

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 20: Skylark's Hidden Cafe


1308 11th St, Bellingham, WA

Back to fancy, fancy Fairhaven!  It's a new year, and with the post-holiday blues hanging over me I headed here for my beloved dose of Eggs Benny.  I'd been wanting to try this place for a while, and was very pleased with how it turned out.  It's more of a restaurant than a diner, and a nice one at that, but definitely worth a visit.  Let's get down to our breakfast business!
Just on interiors alone, this is one of the nicer places I've had the pleasure to visit. The clientele definitely veers to the older set, but that's Bellingham for you.  And the service was top notch -- fast but not overbearing.

Vibe:  Wood and brick does the trick!

Song heard:  Not making this up, a house / techno version of "Losing My Religion"

Coffee:  Good, a bit on the mild side.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Of course it did.  Cooked with care and attention, with a shout-out to the potatoes.  Let's face it -- just a little bit burnt, just a bit generous with the flaky blackened parts, is always the way to go with our starch of choice.

Can I sit and read a while?:  I got here at the end of the lunch rush so it probably wasn't an issue.  Then again, they have a full bar so why not sit there and enjoy a few pages instead?  I'm pretty sure they'd serve you there.

Price:  $26.39.  So, it ain't the cheapest.  Bring your mom or pop here for their birthday.  Or a second or third date if you're looking to impress.  This would not be my day-to-day choice for an EB, and that's not necessarily a bad thing!


If anything the ham was maybe a little too thick (!).  The potatoes, as mentioned, were cooked and seasoned beautifully.  The sauce was creamy and comforting, like the sweater you just got for Christmas.

Overall:


Nighthawks: 4 / 5

No comments:

Post a Comment