Friday, January 13, 2023

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 19: Avenue Bread



2301 James St, Bellingham, WA (one of three locations)

Not dead!  However, there have been some changes over the past few months.  My Dad is fine, but we've moved him into managed care.  My part-time work continues at the animal shelter.  And my thirst for delicious breakfast food in friendly environments remains unquenched!

Here we are at lovely Avenue Bread, which is a Bellingham mini-chain.  So yet another place that makes their own EB muffins!  Approved!

I'll admit, my heart drops a bit at the sight of these hash-browns.  They didn't look hand cut, and they certainly didn't taste it either.  The Egg Bennies were much better, although the handmade bread didn't blow me away like it did at Mount Bakery.

Vibe:  Get 'em in, get 'em out!

Song heard:  I couldn't hear any.

Coffee:  Above average, I wanted a little more bitterness.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  Yes, as mentioned a bit of Jekyll and Hyde here -- great EB, middle of the road potatoes.

Can I sit and read a while?:  You could.  The whole place struck me as a bit odd on entry.  They were very busy, which is great, but you place your order then sit down and it comes out.  So that's half service I guess?  And you can get your own coffee?  I've been tipping three bucks on each entry here, but maybe that was too much.  And as weird as it sounds, not knowing how much to tip can be stressful.

Price:  $23.41.  Certainly felt like a bit much.


Let's be fair -- this is a bakery that happens to serve EBs, and maybe I was expecting a diner that happened to make its own bread.  No harm, no foul.

Overall:


Nighthawks: 3 / 5

Four more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment