Wednesday, September 7, 2022

The Various Diners of Whatcom County 18: Cafe 544

 

302 E Main St, Everson, WA

I found this place by accident.  I knew Everson had at least one diner, but I'd driven past this building a few times before realizing what it actually was -- a restaurant that serves breakfast!

I guess you could call it minimal, but certainly not mediocre!

There's a workmanlike quality to everything here, and maybe even a secret square theme (building? plate? hashbrowns?).  I've been to a few places here in Whatcom County that I'd love to take friends or family to for a birthday or other special occasion.  Cafe 544 would be more for co-workers, or fueling up before a day of raking leaves solo.  It's really good!  But maybe not phenomenal!  But the world needs by-the-numbers Eggs Bennies.

Vibe:  You're Probably The Youngest Customer Here!

Song heard:  John Mellencamp, "Small Town"

Coffee:  Not great.

Did the yolk pop like it should?:  The EB was cooked just fine.  Even looking, you can tell the hashbrowns weren't all that great.  But it was all thoroughly pleasant.  This is another place that will cook your yolks "hard" on request, and that makes no sense to me.

Can I sit and read a while?:  Yes, within reason.  On a weekday morning there were some folks reading newspapers and refilling their bottomless coffees.

Price:  $15.00 (Exceptional Value)

I think at this price point you can adjust your expectations a bit.  Nothing here will blow your mind, but for 30 minutes of peace and food and relative quiet you could do a whole lot worse than this place.

Overall:


Nighthawks: 3.5 / 5


No comments:

Post a Comment