Friday, June 25, 2021

Booze

Since I moved back to America in February I'd say my daily exercise level has improved just a bit over my routine in Korea.  About six months before I left Daegu my exercise bike gave up the ghost, so I started taking one hour to ninety minute walks daily around my town.  If I was in the office, I took to getting up every 30 to 45 minutes and doing 1,000 steps up and down the hallways and stairs.

It's easier here in the middle of nowhere, Whatcom County.  Every morning I've walked my Dad's private road two kilometers each way, then another kilometer around the house pulling up weeds or branches.

I don't see six-pack abs in my future, alas, but I feel like I'm getting at least 90 minutes of decent movement every day without fail.  (I missed one day back in February due to snow, but I shoveled enough of it to make up.)

And since I'm trying to be honest, I'm also drinking very little alcohol these days.  This is a huge change from Korea, when I would regularly stop in for two tallboys of Korean or Japanese beer on my way home from work, and more on the weekends.

My Dad still drinks very cheap red jug wine, but much less than he used to.  And this is more than understandable at 92, because one decent-sized glass will put him to bed pretty quickly.  I'm actually treating myself to a beer as I type this, but since I've come back from Asia (almost five months) I've gone through exactly 36 beers total (three cases), with 12 sitting in the pantry right now.  (My sister is visiting soon, but she'll at most have one when she gets here.)

I'm 46 of course.  I couldn't drink like my younger self even if I wanted to.  (I'll admit, there are times when I want to.)

All of this is to say, I'm feeling pretty good on the physical front.  I've lost a little bit of weight but was honestly hoping to have lost more given that I'm drinking (almost) nothing but well water, and a cup of instant coffee in the morning (Dad's preference).

Living out here isn't easy but at least my liver is thankful.

No comments:

Post a Comment