Monday, March 1, 2021

The Places We Go (And Went)

 


My Dad moved out here to Bellingham in 1994 after he retired from the Department of Agriculture as a scientist.  What I love about this book is that he took meticulous notes ("meticulous" might as well be his middle name, but it's actually Floyd) regarding every hike and trail he did.  My name shows up a few times, as do various clippings from the local paper regarding newer trails that opened over the years.

What's funny is that by far his longest, most arduous hikes were done with his "senior" hiking group, and not with me.

Alas, we haven't been hiking for at least ten years now for understandable reasons of age.

As always, I'm fascinated by books that you can read by just flipping to random pages, and not having to worry about crazy things like successive pages or anything silly like that.

The Old Man has collected beautiful wood carvings and prints and knick-knacks from his travels to Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, but this is something I relish as a family treasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment