Monday, August 3, 2020

Into August

I started watching The Witcher television series this past weekend.  I am not a Henry Cavill fan (the Snyderverse DC movies sent me away screaming in boredom) but credit where it's due -- the TV show ain't bad.  Not excellent, and definitely grasping to be the next Game of Thrones when in fact the source material is incredibly different.  Sure, you've got the swords and the boobs and the ultra-violence, but the genres are not the same.  (IMO, historically informed epic fantasy vs. grim-dark weird fiction.)

I like that the magic in Witcher is very weird and violent and uncontrollable.  And that Geralt talks to his horse.

However, I have no idea how somebody unfamiliar with the video games or books could make heads or tales of what the hell is going on so far.  Even the books can be pretty vague about certain things, intentionally so.

But hey, I've got almost a month of free time with no baseball games to see live and a limited social life due to coronavirus.

(Have I mentioned that I recently watched and reviewed every film made by Werner Herzog?  Because I certainly did!)

No comments:

Post a Comment