Sunday, August 30, 2020

"I stood in line and ate my Twinkies"


Galaxie 500, "Strange" live

At the end of every semester our students do mandatory teacher performance surveys.

My boss came in today before our weekly lunch and asked me, how is it possible that my scores were so high?  (In absolute terms, and definitely in comparison to his scores and my foreigner co-worker's.)

What I actually said -- "I put a lot of effort into our first semester of online teaching."

What I wanted to say -- "Unlike you and foreigner co, I didn't half-ass this stuff.  I supplemented videos with plenty of study materials, including very detailed midterm and final guides.  I encouraged students to call or e-mail if they had questions.  I tried to make students feel as comfortable as possible in very strange and new circumstances."

I'm unexpectedly salty about all of this today.  We're being told to re-record videos on exactly the same material.  Even though I spent hours scripting and planning mine, unlike two other people I know.

No good deed goes unpunished I guess.  As lazy as I can be sometimes, when I do commit to something I try to make sure I've got it right the first time.

This is Korea though, and the country would simply fall apart without mandatory levels of meaningless busy-work.

No comments:

Post a Comment