Sunday, February 3, 2019

An Active Social Life? What's That?

It's Lunar New Year, so a happy and healthy Year of the Pig to you and your friends and family!

I went to Seoul last Friday and spent Saturday afternoon (and, ahem, a good bit of the evening) drinking with filthy foreigners in Itaewon.  I knew a lot of them through Twitter, and while older than most of them it was a great time.  I stayed over Saturday night and came back to lurvely Daegu yesterday on my first "no seat" ticket on the KTX (Korean bullet train).  That was a bit of a nightmare but it was my own fault for not buying a ticket in advance.

For some reason, Koreans believe that if a comfortably 25 degree Celsius restaurant or coffee shop is cozy, a 35 degree restaurant or coffee shop will be 10 degrees cozier-er.  Which is to say, they fucking overheat everything in winter, including the trains, and it's fucking miserable.

Anyhow, I'm back home and finally on vacation.  The weather is a bit on the warm side, and the city is more quiet than ever.  After doing some internet stuff I'll do some time on my exercise bike then maybe head downtown for some Indian food.  As much as Itaewon is pretty much a universally acknowledged shit-hole, I already miss the Halal Guys and my favorite kebab shop (Ankara Picnic, right across from the Hamilton).

I recently finished Hanif Abdurraqib's They Can't Kill Us Until They Kill Us, and just started Samuel Delany's The Motion of Light in Water.  The former was great with a few missteps (even a very good writer will never convince me Fallout Boy is brilliant music) and the latter, well, I always get kind of nervous before starting something by Delany, known for his density proclivities, but so far it's -- an incredibly sweet and lucid memoir about his family and love life.  Not quite what I expected, but excellent so far.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment