Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Please No Don't Do This To Us Korea

For about two years now my college has implemented a "reflection" class.  After the final exam, we're supposed to meet a final time to review the semester's work.

It's fucking awful.

I can't blame students for absolutely not giving two shits about this class.  Other than giving them their scores for the final, there's not a hell of a lot for me to do other than take attendance.

Mentally, they've checked out for whichever break, winter or summer, is about to begin.

Mentally, I've checked out after a frenzied week of constant grading.

And the thing is, while of course the students hate it, so do the other teachers and professors (the real, Ph.D.-having ones, unlike me).

Nobody wants it.  But the Korean education department decided this was a good idea so suck on that.  That's basically what it boils down to.

I'm going to put together some type of video-based activity, something light, but I'll basically be basking in resentful student gazes for two hours and, well, that's entirely their right.  To paraphrase Frank O'Hara, "bureaucrats of Korea, let your children go off to the PC-Bang."

That said, Bohemian Rhapsody has been something of a minor hit here so I'm putting together some study guides for "Under Pressure" and "We Are The Champions." (Teaching "Bohemian Rhapsody" itself would be fool's errand.  That shit cray.)

No comments:

Post a Comment