Wednesday, July 25, 2018

The Three-Body Problem (With Spoilers)

I finally finished Cixin Liu's Three-Body Problem trilogy.  And it was very good.  I won't pretend to think I understood every detail Liu was getting at, but the big-picture ideas are accessible enough.

If alien beings have the technology to discover Earth, will they try and preemptively murder us?  Probably!

Will they do it out of an ingrained sense of self-preservation, rather than simple spite?  (Cosmic M.A.D.?)  Definitely!

Is human civilization worth saving in the first place?  Sort of maybe!

I would say that if you only read the first book, you'll probably be getting most of the major ideas that make it such a fascinating trilogy.  Which is to say, I think you'd be lying to yourself if you said that all 1,100 pages of books two and three are absolutely gripping.

But I enjoyed all of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment