Wednesday, September 25, 2019

RIP Robert Hunter


Grateful Dead, "Hard to Handle" live '71

I think I've got it now -- my Dead "sweet spot" is when they still had Pigpen and didn't have Mickey Hart.  They were still a bar band, basically, and not taking themselves all that seriously.

I have very mixed feelings about The Grateful Dead, but I did see them live at least twice.  (Maybe a third time?  I'm a walking cliche I guess but I don't remember.)  There are rare moments when I can put on a Youtube video of something from the late 60's or 70's and quietly get some work or grading done.  By the 80's and 90s though everything is off -- sonically, spiritually, (ahem) chemically.

So this is a roundabout way of saying Rest In Peace to Robert Hunter, and to the glory of long, strange trips wherever we may happen to find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment