Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Completely Unscientific


Billy Eilish, "Bellyache"

My semi-annual poll of Korean college students (first week of class introductions, asked them for favorite singer or band) finds that BTS and BlackPink, the two K-Pop acts currently attempting to cross over to America and Europe, really aren't popular among home-grown K-Pop fans.  I've noticed this before -- the acts that you hear about in Pitchfork or appearing on Letterman, while certainly selling units, aren't necessarily the ones 20 year old Koreans tend to care about back here.

Highly unscientific of me, I realize.  Hell, completely unscientific.  But I'd bet you 5,000 won there's something to it.

Meanwhile,  out of about 150 students so far two have mentioned Billie Eilish as their favorite, and that's cool.

Who says Daegu is a backwater?  (I do!  Frequently!)

No comments:

Post a Comment