Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Let's Help Out

Whelp, it's been over a week since the election of Trumpolini and me worrying and wallowing in self-pity and, frankly, drinking too much.

This ends now as I'm going to try and do a better job of being involved in small, tangible efforts to make the world around me a better place.

Granted, I'm in lovely Daegu, South Korea, so I won't be able to directly protest a man who literally wants to lock up all the Muslims in America and build a useless wall to keep out all the taco trucks.

Don't get me wrong -- the American people in their infinite, racist wisdom have made a horrible mistake and millions of people are going to suffer because of it.  Our days as a superpower are over.

But my disappointment doesn't really help anybody, does it?

Anyhow, there's a no-kill animal shelter outside of Daegu called "Hannah's" and they need donations to build up their dog and cat shelters before winter sets in.

You can donate here.

I'm going to try and organize a trip between my foreigner co-workers, my adult students, and maybe some Daegu-located Twitter- and tumblr-buddies.  Apparently the shelter accepts walk-ins who want to help exercise and play with the animals.  I'll probably contact them as well to see if there are any projects that need working on (I'm no carpentry or masonry genius, but I'm plenty good at picking up heavy objects and moving them elsewhere).

I haven't written about it much, but South Korea is pretty damn terrible when it comes to the basic treatment and welfare of animals.  Local shelters like this are few and far between, and they are deserving of some of your cash.

And please, feel free to offer up suggestions in comments for other things going on in our local communities that we can help out with.

Positive change starts with me.  It starts with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment