Friday, October 21, 2022

"I wouldn't have it any other way"

Rock and Roll music wouldn't be what it is without plane crashes, ODs, and suicides.  But for my money, the entire saga of XTC might make for the saddest tale in popular music:
"Partridge [lead singer and guitarist], who addressed a rapt conference via video link, is proud of the fanbase, though confesses that the celebration badly triggers his OCD: he stayed firmly upstairs at home that weekend, and has previously hinted that he is autistic. Has he ever sought a formal diagnosis? 'I think I’m on the spectrum, yes, but it’s all helped me and I wouldn’t have it any other way.'

Partridge is rarely sighted in his hometown, keeping nocturnal hours and staying at home where he devours military history. His vast collection of toys – mostly soldiers, some he has made himself – cover almost every display surface. Partridge tried social media, but withdrew following allegations that he used antisemitic tropes in a discussion on Middle Eastern politics (something he won’t be drawn on today). He’s given up his chief hobby of arguing with strangers about politics on online forums, telling me he now spends his days 'waiting for my music mojo to return, in between researching UFO events'."

Would they still be one of my favorites bands if they'd gotten even a quarter of the recognition (and money) they truly deserved?  Probably.  The songs are so strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment