Monday, May 6, 2019

Game of Thrones Is Almost Ovah! (Spoilers!)

I'm on the record as believing that the HBO writers are generally better story-tellers than George Martin but word to The Mother, this final season is really trying my patience.

I have read the books, and I think Martin's strengths are character creation and world building.  And up until recently I was pretty content to let two TV "pros" take the raw materials and turn them into good TV product via cutting the fat and actually making things happen.  (Lest we forget, the last two novels so far have been so fucking slow, with Daenarys basically "trapped" in the East for no good reason other than Martin doesn't know what to do wither her.)

I think the worst crimes though are setting up things for payoffs that never come.  As much as I love Arya's character, it seems like she pretty much proved there were much easier, much better ways to deal with he Night King rather than losing huge swathes of your armies.  (Will Bran even appear in the last two episodes?)

But maybe I was wrong.  Maybe there just wasn't enough time to sufficiently send off each of the main characters in the ways they deserved, and the HBO team was willing to settle for very safe, dishwater endings that don't really solve any of the larger, more historical mysteries of the show.

And damn if Missandei wasn't pretty much thrown away, and Brienne will probably be sitting out the battle of King's Landing.

No comments:

Post a Comment